The Sacred Heart Church is the city’s oldest (still in use ) Catholic Church. It was built in 1865 as a present to Albania from the Franz Joseph of Austria. The church closed its doors in 1967 during the communism regime as part of the anti-religion movement from the dictator of the time, Enver Hoxha. The church reopened again in early 1990s and until then was used as a cinema. This specific Catholic Church has an incredibly modest interior rarely seen in churches of its kind. The church was overshadowed by the much bigger and newer St. Paul’s Cathedral but its still moderately visited by believer during their Daily Mass.